Sunday, June 13, 2010

ESPN for 2014

I know I have blogged about this before, but I really hope ESPN gets the rights to cover the the 2014 Olympics in the United States over NBC. After two days, I am already very impressed by their World Cup coverage and think they are handling the time difference very well. I would love to see this type of packaging for the Olympics.

I live in the Mountain Time Zone. Games are broadcast live at 5:00am, 7:00am, and 12:00pm. They are then re-broadcast at 4:00pm, 6:00pm, and 1:00am. Everything is also online. This gives die-hard fans the opportunity to see everything live while allowing those of us the prefer to sleep a chance to see the games as well.

ESPN has seven TV stations to work with as well as internet broadcasting. Even if they decide against re-broadcasting events, they could still easily show everything live, put everything on the internet, package something easily digestible for prime-time, and sell lots of advertising. This is how I want to experience the Olympics. NBC needs to wake up and realize that people know what happens in the sports world before they tell us what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment